Soon after purchasing the large Vejar Ranch, Phillips began selling small parcels of land to individuals who wanted establish small farms. He sold 100 acres to William Rubottom (“Uncle Billy”) to establish a tavern and hotel near Phillip’s home on Lower San Bernardino Road. When the US Post Office was established in the area, Rubottom named the community Spadra, after his hometown of Spadra, Arkansas. The area soon become known as the home of Uncle Billy Rubottom’s Tavern. By 1875, Spadra was a thriving community with a cluster of blacksmith shops, stores and other commercial establishments. Not only did horse-drawn traffic utilize the business establishments, but the Southern Pacific Railroad line came through Eastern Los Angeles and ended in Spadra.
For several years, Spadra prospered, and the residents hoped the community would be the main station stop for the railroad, leading to continued grown and prosperity. It was a major disappointment to the area when the railroad decided to make their main stop in the city of Colton. The first locomotive to go through Pomona going East was on July 16, 1875. As Pomona with its economy based upon citrus and led by well-organize and financed city leaders became the center of the region, Spadra entered a period of gradual decline. Today the only remains of the once thriving village includes the Spadra Cemetery and Phillips Mansion. The area that consisted of Spadra was annexed by the City of Pomona in 1955.